Last year I wrote a blog about manuscript review status. Here I report manuscript review status updates from another journal. Interestingly, the status updates are somewhat different from the ones that I wrote about in the previous blog. It seems every journal has slightly different systems.
1. Awaiting admin processing - This is the status I saw immediately after submission (Feb 23, 2013). the manuscript is being considered for the peer-review process. After submission the manuscript usually goes to the Editor in Chief or managing editor first. This person may or may not select reviewers for the manuscript. If there are subject editors or Associate Editors (AE), the manuscript may get assigned to one of them by the Editor in Chief or managing editor. The AE will then be in charge of handling the manuscript (inviting reviewers, collecting reviews and making acceptance/rejection recommendations).
2. Awaiting Referee Selection - The editor (an Associate Editor or the Editor in Chief) is in the process of inviting reviewers. However, at this stage, the manuscript may still get desk rejected. About two days after I submitted my manuscript, the status has changed to 'awaiting referee selection'.
3. Awaiting Referee Assignment - The editor has sent invitations to reviewers (referees) and is waiting for their responses to accept or decline the invitation. I saw this status on Mar 03, 2013, about 10 days after the submission.
4. Awaiting Referee Scores - Reviewers have started reviewing the manuscript. Th review time varies from journal to journal, with many having a one-month period. I saw this status on Mar 05, 2013, only two days after the 'awaiting referee assignment' status came up.
5. On March 16, or about 11 days after the reviewer started doing the reviews, I received an email from the editor, accepting my manuscript. On ManuscriptCentral, it was showing: Minor Revision, with Apr-16-2013 as the due date.
I also found a short, but useful explanation of manuscript review status from the journal 'Molecular Medicine'.
Awaiting Admin Processing – the manuscript is being considered for the peer-review process.
Under Consideration – the manuscript has been sent for peer-review.
Awaiting AE Preliminary Decision – peer-review reports have been received.
Awaiting EDB Decision Approval – the manuscript is in the queue for Editorial Board Review and decision.
You can also look up another useful blog (in Chinese, translate it using Google Translate).
Writings related to insects, biodiversity and science in general